The Balikbayan Privilege
One Year Visa-free Stay
The balikbayan privilege allows a one-year visa-free stay in the Philippines to a former Filipino (balikbayan) who is now a citizen of Italy, Malta or San Marino, or any country listed under Executive Order (EO) 408 dated 9 November 2014, as amended.
The non-Filipino spouse and children of a balikbayan may avail of the balikbayan privilege on the following conditions:
· They enter the Philippines together with the balikbayan.
· They are citizens of Italy, Malta, San Marino or any country listed under EO 408.
· They observe and comply with immigration rules and regulations.
To avail of the balikbayan privilege, a balikbayan is advised to bring either his old Philippine passport or a copy of his Birth Certificate as proof of his previous Philippine citizenship.
The accompanying non-Filipino spouse and children of a balikbayan should present an English translation of following documents to show evidence of relationship:
· Marriage Certificate for the spouse
· Birth Certificate for each child
· Adoption papers for the adopted children
Extension of Stay
A balikbayan is given an initial stay of one (1) year, which may be extended up to six (6) months by the Bureau of Immigration office in the Philippines.